Family Login:


Share This Obituary
Send Flowers
 Order Flowers On Line


Memories & Candles

“Mary Jane will be missed. She was a woman strong in her Christian faith, and she had a great sense of humor. She was like another mother to my wife...Read More ยป
1 of 1 | Posted by: Sam Waltz - Greenville, DE


Mary Jane Thomas, 86, died peacefully with family by her side on February 23, 2017, at Heartland Hospice in Wilmington, DE.

She was raised on a farm in Somerset County, PA, graduated from Boswell High School, and worked for the Carnegie Museum in Pittsburgh PA. In 1950 she married Lee W. Thomas and they moved to Wilmington, DE in 1952. They also lived briefly in Memphis, TN and Kinston, NC during his 33 career with DuPont.

Mary Jane worked as a secretary and for many years as a para-professional in the Marshallton-Mckean/Red Clay School District. She later was employed with DuPont as an administrative assistant.

Mary Jane was active in church women's circles and choir and was a long time member of Bible Study for Today. She enjoyed gardening, homemaking and vacations at Sea Isle City, NJ.

She will be dearly missed by her family. She is survived by her two daughters, Sharon Leipold and her husband, Walter, and Kathleen Zinn and her husband, Ken; grandchildren, Alan Young (Erin), Emily Y. Dolbow (Harry), Melanie Z. Merritt (Nicholas), and Andrew Zinn (Kate); step-grandchildren, Daniel Leipold (Sarah) and Paul Leipold; and great-grandchildren, Cru, Keegan and Brody Young, Harry Dolbow V, Evelyn and William Dolbow, Lucy and Levi Merritt, and Noah and Theodore Zinn. Also surviving are her sister, Patricia Bihary, and numerous nieces and nephews. She was predeceased by her husband of 62 years, Lee, and her brother George J. Neuhof.

A visitation for family and friends will be held on Saturday, March 4, at Ebenezer United Methodist Church, 525 Polly Drummond Hill Road, Newark, DE at 9:30am, followed by a service at 10:30am.

In remembrance of Mary Jane, the family would appreciate contributions to Ebenezer United Methodist Church in lieu of flowers.